Wednesday 27 March 2013

LOOSENING THE LEASH ON YOUR KIDS



I believe I’m one of those over protective mothers who need to know where her child is, when and why. I know I’m a bit extreme but at least I don’t put a leash around her waist or neck when shopping or talking a walk. Anyway I think it’s because for one: it’s a scary world out there, two: she is not ready for the streets and lastly I am not ready.  We spent a great deal of time together so I feel very much attached to her.

Needless to say this is a common issue especially for new mothers who have taken their kids wherever they go even to dates, no I’m kidding. Some experts state that we are robbing them of their childhood, really. The world just isn’t the same anymore so it’s not easy to loosen the leash or better yet cut the cord. For now though I am happy if she is playing nearby where my eyes can see her. She sometimes gives me reason to worry; always smiling and greeting strangers. The concept of “Stranger Danger” is quite ridiculous to her, she sees all people as good.
TIPS TO REDUCE OVERPROTECTIVENESS
Invite friends over and let them play in your yard for hours and next time they can do so at a friend’s.
Go to the park n see how your kids interact without interfering or ask another adult
Teach them and coach them basic on how to handle crisis’ e.g how to dial the emergency number, not get run over and about strangers.
There is only so much we can do the rest is up to them. I’m definitely going to use my own advice three or maybe four years from now when she knows better lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment