Wednesday 10 April 2013

HOW TO GROOM A TODDLER’S HAIR

I have such troubles grooming my baby girl’s hair, I fret just at the thought. The fact that African hair is so kinky is just not helping and putting chemicals in a toddler’s hair for me is a no-no. I have therefore resolved to plaiting it or doing ponytails /pom poms.
 The thought of someone pulling at her hair gives me the chills. Until I can find someone who is gentle enough that is how it will stay. There are a lot of products to stretch toddler’s hair but how can I use them on her when I myself still struggle with burns during the process.
Some parents have no issues with their toddlers’ hair, heck they even put weaves on their little girls. Children do not want to sit for long periods and so they won’t until you bribe or threaten them and that can only take you so far. I struggle to understand how pageant moms cope with the stress of having to fix their kids hair, make up and getting dressed. Any way that’s a topic for another day.
Since this article is not about the struggles of grooming hair but about the solutions that can work, well best I get straight into it.
·         It’s important to do this at a certain time of the day to allow for more time to take breaks
·         Use the dolls to demonstrate how important it is to groom hair and praise them afterwards.
·         Make hair grooming a group thing,it might just ease the pressure; most kids like to compete so it will be easy for them to comply when they see other kids getting their hair groomed.
·         Alternatively you can have someone distract them by singing and dancing with them or reading their favorite book for them while you busy with their hair.
·         If push comes to shove then have someone they respect or afraid of to sit through the process and give them warnings if they misbehave.

To make the process as easy and scream free as possible wash the hair before so that combing and brushing does not hurt as much. GOODLUCK,I know I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment